Friday, February 13, 2009

Video Tutorial Purchasing and setting up custom domain through Blogger



Transcript of video tutorial: Purchasing and setting up a Custom Domain through Blogger

Have you ever wanted your own custom domain for your blog? Now it is easy to purchase and setup your own custom domain directly through Blogger. There is no need to buy online storage space. You can still continue to use Blogger free hosting. To set up a custom domain for your blog, first log into your Blogger account and visit your SETTINGS and PUBLISHING tabs. Click SWITCH TO CUSTOM DOMAIN. If you already own your own domain, click SWITCH TO ADVANCED SETTINGS for instructions on pointing it to your blogspot blog. Otherwise, enter your desired domain into the field provided to see if it is available and to begin the purchase process. Domains cost 10 dollars each and will be registered for 1 year. Keep in mind that your existing blogspot address will still direct readers to your blog. Once you found an available domain, click CONTINUE. Next, you will need to fill out your domain registration. Be sure to chose whether or not you like your registration information to be listed in the WHOIS directory. By default, your information will be unlisted. Accept the Terms of Service (TOS) and choose whether or not you want your domain registration to be automatically re-registered each year. Next, you input your billing information to Google Checkout. Once you finished, click AGREE AND CONTINUE. Next, review your purchase and place your order. Now your custom domain is set up. Click VIEW BLOG to see your blog at this new domain. Although your blog may appear immediately, please note that it may take up to 3 days for blog to transition to your new domain. Have fun with your custom domain.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

I want to change my custom domain. Will I have to redirect everyone to my new address?

Peter @ Enviroman said...

You mean you have already converted to a custom domain but now want your old blog to go to a new different domain? I haven't done anything like that before but I suspect you can do so by first switching back to blogspot and then switch to your new domain.

Peter @ Enviroman said...

Forgot to add this Sarah. While I haven't done what I mentioned above, I have repetitively switched from blogspot to a custom domain back and forth when somehow Google Apps didn't correctly direct my old blogspot blog to the new custom domain (only 1 not 2). Will appreciate getting feedback if what I describe in my first comment is what you wanted and if what I suggested worked for you.

Sarah said...

Peter-When I first set up my blog, I bought a custom domain right away. I stupidly included my last name in it, and now, because I'm paranoid, I want to change it to NOT include that name. I would like to not have to notify my reader's that my address has changed. I'm thinking that is not possible, seeing that they would have that old address in their readers and favorites.

Peter @ Enviroman said...

You mean your display name? That can easily be changed by editing your profile. You don't need to change the domain.

Sarah said...

No, my actual domain www.turnersoncloverlane.com...has my last name. So I think I have to come up with a new name, a new blog, import my old blog, but leave my old blog up awhile, asking visitors to now come to the new one. That is confusing.

Peter @ Enviroman said...

Start a new blog and convert that to your new custom domain and redirect from old URL to new URL

Natthaphol Photographer said...

Hi Peter,
How are you? I'm NIKI from Bangkok. i have question about using custom domain which i already had my own domain name. I already use advance setting and follow direction. I also change cname at my DNS management.
But my blog doesn't show up on my domain name. What can i do now. Do i have to wait for 1-3 days? Please let me know

Peter @ Enviroman said...

I only have the experience of directly registering and paying for the custom domain via Blogger settings and Google Apps. The conversion took 3 days.

Unknown said...

I already use advance setting and follow direction. I also change cname at my DNS management.
But my blog doesn't show up on my domain name. What can i do now. Do i have to wait for 1-3 days? Please let me know

http://www.spinxxx.com

Peter @ Enviroman said...

Did you purchase your domain via Blogger and Google Apps? If so, there is nothing much to do except wait a few days (around 3 days)

Fakhrul Alam said...

Hi Peter

I liked the video tutorial. What I would like to know that if a visitor types only the domain name without the www why does it go to godaddy as I have purchased the domain from them. Is there any way to redirect to my domain. For example if I type www.example.com which is redirected to example.blogspot.com, it doesn't redirect when visitors type example.com instead it goes to godaddy.com

Waiting for your reply.

Alam
xrangeglobal.com

Peter @ Enviroman said...

I converted my blogs to custom domains by registering and buying the domain direct via Blogger and Google Apps where we are given a choice whether to redirect naked domain (domain.com) to www.domain.com and everything is done automatically without me having to do anything.

I have not tried buying any domain and converting blog to custom domain myself so can't help you here. What you can do is to post your problem/search Blogger Help Forum and if you wish, post the URL of the thread here and I will try to draw the attention of those who can help to that thread.